We believe setting up business communications should be a straightforward, painless process. That’s why we build our SIP services to play well with whichever communications platform you might use – whether it’s hardware-based or hosted in the cloud, built internally or bought from a third-party vendor. In effect, this enables you to Bring Your Own Carrier (us!) to your communications provider. Why is this better than paying for a bundled service from one provider? Because it allows you to benefit from Voxbone’s fully compliant, reliable voice infrastructure and the improved connectivity and scalability of our network while continuing to use your existing apps. It’s a win-win for you!
The following guide will show you how to bring your Voxbone numbers to Plivo. It’s easy to connect numbers from your Voxbone account to Plivo’s platform.
What you’ll need to get started:
- A registered Voxbone account with assigned numbers. (Create your account here)
- A registered account with Plivo (Create it here)
Note: On both platforms, a free-trial account is also enough to get started!
How it works
When a call is received on our platform, we deliver this call to your designated SIP interface through voice URIs. Behind the scenes, we take care of complex things like least-cost routing, finding the best provider and optimizing for maximum call quality. To connect your Voxbone numbers to Plivo, we need to establish a SIP interface between our platform and theirs. This can be done in two simple steps:
- Create an endpoint on Plivo and assign it to one of your applications
- Create a voice URI to test the interface
- Assign a voice URI to a DID and place a call
Create an endpoint on Plivo
Entry points to Plivo applications are managed by “endpoints” on the platform. It’s quick, simple and very straight-forward! Even if you’re new to Plivo, you can use one of the many demo applications available to test your integration.
- In the Plivo dashboard, go to Voice > Endpoints > Add New Endpoint, or click here to create a new endpoint. Pick one of your applications from the drop-down list. When a new call is received on this endpoint, the selected application will be triggered. This can be modified later as needed. A password for the endpoint is required, but won’t be needed for numbers connected via Voxbone. Once the endpoint is created, Plivo will specify a unique SIP URI for the application, which will be the Voice URI for Voxbone.
- Upon successful creation of the endpoint, you will be redirected back to “All Endpoints” page. Expand your newly created endpoint and copy the SIP URL that’s generated, excluding the “sip:” part in the beginning. For our example, this is VoxbonePlivo112693406415508365@phone.plivo.com.
- All done! Now that we have a SIP URI, all we need is to configure a Voxbone DID to point to it!
Creating a Voice URI between Voxbone and Plivo
This is where we set up the SIP interface from Voxbone to Plivo. On our platform, this is done via Voice URIs. As noted from the previous step, our Voice URI is the SIP URL assigned to our Plivo endpoint: VoxbonePlivo112693406415508365@phone.plivo.com
Creating a voice URI can be done easily on the Voxbone portal or through our Voice API. Using the API, you can automate this process for your end-users or applications.
- Log in to your Voxbone account.
- Go to Configure > Configure Voice URIs or, if you’re logged in, click here. Then click “New” to create a Plivo Voice URI.
- Specify the Voice URI as the SIP URL of your Plivo Endpoint. For example: VoxbonePlivo112693406415508365@phone.plivo.com. When you’re done, your Voice URI should look something like this:
Assign your Plivo Voice URI to a Voxbone DID
Now, we need to link one of our numbers to the Plivo URI we just created.
- Go to Configure > Configure DIDs or, if you’re logged in, click here.
- Use filters to pick a number of your choice to assign for testing and hit “Search”.
- Once you’ve picked your number, under the Configuration menu, go to the “Voice” tab and click “Voice URI”. Also, make sure to pick at least g.729 and g.711 codecs to prevent any SDP or media-related errors under the “Codecs” menu.
- Select the Voice URI you just created from the previous step from the modal window.
- Hit “Apply” and “Continue”, then finally, “Confirm”.
- All set! Now place a call to the number you are using for testing! It should reach your designated Plivo Application
Any calls placed to the numbers associated with your Plivo Endpoint are now delivered by Voxbone to Plivo. Now, based on the SIP headers, you can keep using your existing app/business logic without changing anything, but use Voxbone as the delivery platform.